Subdivisions | Monrovia Tract
The Monrovia Tract was Lots 11 through 14 the Santa Anita Track (shown in the picture to the right), owned by Elias J. Baldwin,William N, and a sliver of the western part of Azusa de Duarte, owned by L.L. Bradbury. Monroe had purchased Lot 43 from Baldwin as early as 1884. The other Santa Anita lots were purchased individually from Baldwin by Edward F. Spence, John D. Bicknell, James F. Crank, and J.F. Falvey. These men and Monroe all knew each other from business and society connections in Los Angeles. Spence was a former mayor of Los Angeles, Bicknell a former judge, and Monroe had served on the Los Angeles City Council. Crank, like Baldwin, had been a railroad builder, but he lived in Pasadena, not Monrovia. Jeremiah F. Falvey had been the foreman of Baldwin's Rancho Santa Anita.
Together, they decided to combine their lots under the business name of the Monrovia Land and Water Company. They formed their lots into the Monrovia Tract (please see map to the right), which was recorded for the company by Judge Bicknell on June 1, 1886. The Town of Monrovia Subdivision and the Monrovia Tract may easily be confused. The Town of Monrovia Subdivision was established and recorded first. The Monrovia Tract surrounds the Town of Monrovia. The Monrovia Tract was originally divided in to 15 parcels, the outer boundaries being the following: Mayflower on the west, White Oak (now Foothill Boulevard) on the north, California on the east and the County Road (now Duarte Road), to the south. Each parcel was further divided into lettered blocks
The Monrovia Tract was itself subdivided almost immediately.
Also view: Addition No 2 to the Monrovia Tract | B&G Subdivision | Banana Addition | Dorland Tract | Keefer's Subdivision of Lots 74 and 75 | M.P.B & C | Monroe Addition to Monrovia Tract | Oak Grove Subdivision #2 | Ocean View Subdivision | Santa Anita Tract | The Oaks Tract | Town of Monrovia | Shamrock Avenue Tract