328 S. Myrtle Ave.


Photo: This is a detail from the 1927 Sanborn Fire Insurance map that shows the addresses associated with these lots. The address to the far right is 322. To the left are 324 & 326, and 330.

Image Image

John Zerell and his partner purchased the property in 1937, so this picture probably dates from the early 1940s. The giant oak tree can be seen at the back of the property.

This picture was provided by Dorothy Zerell Jefferson, daughter of John Zerell. Of this picture, she says: "The people in the photo are Frances Zerell Foster [Dorothy's aunt] and her two children Jacqueline and Benning Foster, my father John Zerell and his mother Jacobina Heim Zerell.

Image Image

This photo shows the view from the corner of E. Lime Avenue, Lot 15, looking north toward lots 13 & 13.

Lots 13 & 14 today

Known Details

Block No: B

Lot No: 13 & 14

Landmarked? No

Construction Year: 1927

Architectural Style: Public/Commercial

Contractor: Dale Kidd

Architect: Unknown

Style Altered? No

Location Changed? No

Owner(s): Daniel Edison Moran, Jr.

Demolished? Yes

Subdivision: Town of Monrovia

James McLachlan owned this property, along with Lot 14,  from 1888-1916, and he made no improvements on either property in all the years he owned them.

There is a permit dated March 7, 1927, for work totaling $900 and described as "Group J."  The owner is recorded as Dan Moran and the contractor as Dale Kidd.  The 1927 Sanborn map shows a structure labeled "GAS/OIL". Monrovia city directories show this lot, along with Lot 14, was the site of an automobile service station with various owners over the years.

Daniel E. Moran owned the property and worked as a car mechanic there along with several other people.  The 1928 city directory lists Bob Russell working there as a tire specialist;  Billie H. Youngs painting cars; R.J. Simpson performing  “auto laundry”; Henry Payne handling car batteries; Ray R. Kramer is listed as a machinist; and Russel J. Simpson a mechanic.

In 1937, John Zerell and his partner Louis Wicks took over the business and entered into an agreement with Shell Oil Company.  They maintained their business until 1955 when Shell Oil sold the property, and the both lots were razed in 1955 for a J.C. Penny store which has morphed through the years as many differences business.  At this writing (2012), the site is a pool hall.

The real loss in regard to this property was the giant oak tree that dated back from the time Monrovia was founded.  It can bee seen in the first and third photographs.  It was torn out in 1955 when the gas station was razed.