217 E. Lime Avenue
Block No: A
Lot No: 17
Construction Year: Unknown
Architectural Style: Craftsman
Style Altered? No
Location Changed? No
Owner(s): Mable C. Menefee
Subdivision: Town of Monrovia
The above picture shows Lot 17 which had been 217 E. Lime before the house was torn down to be replaced by a parking lot. The rest of the lot is made up of Lots 18, 19, and 20. The houses on these lots were also town down. The picture at the bottom of this screen a wide angle view of the area where the houses once stood.
The 1888 tax record shows J.C. Anderson as the first owner of Lot 17, which was worth $300 at that time.
A small dwelling, with an address of 217 E. Lime, on Lot 17 appears on the 1907 Sanborn Map . The 1913 map shows an additional small dwelling with an address of 217 1/2. This structure may have been torn down as there is a building permit, dated 1949, issued to Miss Menefee for a residence at the 217 1/2 address.
The 1908-1909 Monrovia Directory lists C. Frank Jackson, a lineman for the Monrovia Telephone and Telegraph Company, as listing at 217 E. Lime. The 1911 Monrovia Directory lists Mabel C. Menefee as living at 217 E. Lime. Later directories list her as an office nurse, working for Dr. J.K. Sewell. Ms. Menefee may have rented out a room of her house, a not uncommon practice, as the 1916-1917 directory lists Anna J. Sewright living at the address. She appears in no subsequent directories.
In the 1926-27 directory, a Miss Estelle M. Nelson, a clerk McBratney's is listed as living at this address.
The residence zone for Lot 17, along with Lots 18, 19, and 20, was changed in 1960, as the first step in tearing down the houses on those lots. In 1962, a Planning Commission Architectural review states that Lot 17 was 50 x 160 feet, it did not conform to building code or zoning ordinances, and was at least 50 years old, as if age were some kind of crime.
Because there are no pictures of this dwelling, the exact architectural style is not known. But because a dwelling appears on the 1907 Sanborn map, it might be surmised that the house's architecture was similar to those on the rest of block which appear at the same time and are still standing. That would it an early Craftsman with Victorian elements