Property

229 E. Lime Avenue

Image

Photo: This illustration shows the very simple dwelling built on Lot 20 that the Crandall family used as a rental. Their own house with additional rental structures on Lot 21 is shown to the left.

Image

This photograph shows the site of the house originally on Lot 20. It would have been on the near side of the white fence. On the other side of the fence is W.A. Crandall house on Lot 21.

Known Details

Block No: A

Lot No: 20

Landmarked? No

Construction Year: Unknown

Architectural Style: Craftsman

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Unknown

Style Altered? No

Location Changed? No

Owner(s): Martha Ward

Demolished? Yes

Subdivision: Town of Monrovia

The 1888 tax record lists Mrs Martha Ward as the first owner of this property, valued at $300.  The next year the property had dropped in valued by half, and the tax records list the owners as the real estate firm of Spence, Bicknell & Crunch.  In 1890 and 1891, tax records show the owner as E. Bunnell, and then Martha Ward returns as owner from 1892 to 1895 when the property was sold to W.A. Crandall.  By then, the value of the property was $75.

The Crandalls also owned Lot 21, but they didn't do anything with Lot 20 until 1909 or 1910 when they built a small dwelling valued at only $50.  By then the value of the property itself had climbed to $450.  They used the property as a rental and lived in their own home next door.

The 1907 Sanborn map shows the first dwelling, a  very small one, toward the back left of the property.  Over the years, many renters lived in the house.  The 1913-1914 Monrovia Directory lists  Clyde F. Stevenson living here, then in 1916-1917,  Lloyd and Lillian M. Parkhurst were the renters.  Mr. Parkhurst's profession is given as a nursery worker at Pioneer Nursery.  The directory for 1919-1920 lists Miss Wava Mowrey and P. Clara Mowrey as residents here. 

Mrs. Crandall kept the property for sometime after her husband died.  Eventually, the property was sold to William H. Beebe and his wife.

In the early 1960's, the California Water & Telephone Company acquired the property at 229 E. Lime with plans to turn into a parking lot.  For its employees.  The utility company had already purchased the three lots to the west of this address.  In 1963, the Lot 20 was re-zoned for parking, and the house was torn down because it was old, and because it was a house in an area zoned for parking, it was not in compliance with the Zoning Ordinance.

There are no pictures of the house, but its outline on the Sanborn maps show it to have been a very small, narrow structure.  It was most likely a simple, wood-frame house with a shotgun format.  A shotgun house is one with a front-facing gable, one room in width, and two more rooms deep.

The pictures on this page show the large amount of space Lots 17-20 cover.