211 E. Lime Avenue
Block No: A
Lot No: 15
Construction Year: 1904
Architectural Style: Craftsman
Style Altered? No
Location Changed? No
Subdivision: Town of Monrovia
The first owners of this lot were Lewis Beer and H. Gray. The value in 1888 was $300 and drops by half the next year. From 1890 to 1895, the property was owned by Josiah Holcomb Gray, and, after his death in 1892, by his wife, Anna. No owner is listed for 1896 and 1897, and Anna Grey had moved to Arizona where other Gray family members had settled. None of the owners made any improvements on the lot.
By 1903, the property was in the ownership of Lizzie H. Anderson, widow of Charles S. Anderson, who also owned Lots 16, 17, & 18. A dwelling is listed in the tax record of 1904 as being valued at $600. Lizzie Anderson most likely built the dwelling as rental property as tax records show her as the owner until 1916, but city directories list other people as living there.
The structure first appears on the 1907 Sanborn map as a simple rectangle with a porch overhang running the width of the front of the house. In the back are two lean-to type add ons, one with a door opening into it from the house. This was most likely the bathroom. The other was most likely a utility porch typical of houses at that time. The 1927 Sanborn configuration is exactly the same except for a garage added at the back of the property next to the alley. Other than the 1911 permit for the sewer hookup, there is only one other permit issued and that was in 1919 for an addition valued at $800. This may refer to the garage as the Sanborn maps show no additions from 1907 to 1927.
Though no pictures exist of the house, it was most likely of wood frame construction. It had medium width ship-lap siding. According to Steve Baker, Monrovia City Historian, the house was very simple with some Craftsman-type detail. Elizabeth Anderson, a widow, who lived next door with her son, though comfortable, would not have built anything more elaborate for a rental that she didn’t plan on living in.
The city directory for 1908-1909 lists Otis G. Smith, a salesman, his wife and daughter as living at 211 E. Lime Avenue. In 1911, Wallace E. Hicks, a clerk for J.A. Fraulob & Co., rented the property. The directory for 1913-1914 records George Conley, an employee for city waste, as living in the dwelling.
Sometime before 1919, Elizabeth Anderson sold the house to Thomas Quigley, a linotype operator for the Monrovia Daily News, and his wife Ada. Quigley worked as a linotype operator for over 20 years, and as the Monrovia Daily News was only one block away at 115 E. Lime Avenue, it was obviously very convenient for him. However, he still had a car; the 1927 Sanborn map shows a garage at back of his property.
The 1930 census records the value of the house at $5,000.
His wife gave piano lessons in the house. It is unclear when Ada Quigley died, but the last voter registration that she appears in is 1936. Voter registration records show that Thomas Quigley continued living in the house until 1946. After that, he returned to Michigan and died in 1949.
The city directory of 1953-1954 shows the Camp family living in the house. Steve Baker’s family was acquainted with the Camps, so Steve was able to tell me that the they were renting the house until they moved into a house they had purchased on May Avenue.
No one is listed in the city directory for the address for 1955, so the house may have been demolished shortly thereafter.
There is a permit dated November 8, 1967, giving the owner of the property as the General Telephone Company. The permit is for the demolition of a single family dwelling. Another permit, dated 1968, is for a lawn sprinkler system and the owner still listed as General Telephone Company for a lawn sprinkler system.
The property eventually came under the ownership of the church that owned Lots 13 & 14, and is now used as a parking lot for the church.