Architectural Styles | Period Revival

period revival tudor home

This research site uses the term ''Period Revival'' to refer to houses built in Monrovia between 1920-1950 that, excluding the Folk Victorian and Spanish Revival, are miniatures of popular architectural times during previous periods of history. Monrovia has the following Period Revivals:

English cottage: Steep roofs and walls which may be made of brick, stucco, or half timbering. Doorways and windows may be rounded. The roof line may form ''eyebrows'' over the doors and windows.  This roof line is meant to simulate thatch, the original roofing material of this type of house.

Tudor:  Very similar to the above, but with tall brick chimneys and the implication of more money as these houses are modeled after the medieval English townhouses.  Diamond-pane,  hexagonal and/or oriel windows are often exterior features. Exterior walls may be of stucco which has been applied over lath and plaster, weatherboard, shingles.

Neoclassical: See Victorian.

Colonial Revival: Symmetrical.  Exterior walls may be stucco or wood. The roof dormers which, in a full-sized house, would contain windows which open into rooms, are simply decorative. The front door often has a fan design over it and is centrally placed usually with an equal number of windows on either side of the front door. The tiny porch may be extended in a rectangle shape or semi-circular attached porch. Both porches are supported with slender round or rectangular columns.

145 Stedman Place & 146 Stedman Place

Image

2010

Known Details

Block No: C

Lot No: 15

Landmarked? No

Construction Year: 1939

Architectural Style: Period Revival

Style Detail: English Tudor

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Unknown

Style Altered? No

Location Changed? No

Owner(s): Lewis D. Remington

Demolished? No

Subdivision: Monroe Addition to Monrovia Tract

Dr. Lewis D. Remington, a heart and lung specialist who came to Monrovia in 1909, built this home for him, his wife, Cassia (Prentiss), and daughter, Beatrice Dorothea to live in. Formerly he had lived at 146 Primrose Avenue with his first wife, Lida May, who died of lung disease in 1909. 

Early pictures show the home painted white with red shutters. Originally there were cupboards built into the corners of the dining room, but they have since been removed. There was also a revolving cupboard as well as a small center island in the kitchen, neither of which remain.   An unusual feature of the time was glass brick, which he used in the walls of both bathrooms.

267 N. Myrtle Ave.

Image

Image

Known Details

Block No:

Lot No: 2

Landmarked? No

Construction Year: 1924

Architectural Style: Period Revival

Contractor: D.E. Taylor

Architect: Unknown

Style Altered? No

Location Changed? No

Owner(s): George Croxon, Frederick George Croxon, Norman Nicoll Croxon, Senior

Demolished? No

Subdivision: The Oaks Tract

Also view: Victorian | Craftsman | Spanish & Mediterranean | Public/Commercial | Shotgun